Short History of the Catholic Daughters
The Catholic Daughters of the Americas (CDA) was founded in Utica, New York in 1903 by John E. Carberry and several other Knights of Columbus as a charitable, benevolent and patriotic sorority for Catholic ladies. It was originally called the "National order of Daughters of Isabella," and is dedicated to the principles of "Unity and Charity," the order's motto. They were originally called the national order of the Daughters of Isabella, and Carberry served as the first Supreme Regent. The Knights established our two standards of Unity and Charity.
CDA had 90 courts by 1908, and had grown from a membership of less than 100 to more than 10,000. The membership encompassed 69 cities in 18 different states. In March of 1913, the Daughters of Isabella purchased a building in Utica belonging to the Knights of Columbus for use as its official headquarters.
The Catholic Daughters of the Americas continues to live out its motto of "Unity and Charity" today. In 1976 CDA presented a bicentennial gift of $750,000 to the Catholic University of America to establish a Chair in American Catholic History. CDA donates generously to the seminary training programs for priests at the North American College in Rome, and at the American College at the University of Louvain in Belgium.
The Catholic Daughters of the Americas has nearly 70,000 members in 1,250 courts in the United States, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Kenya, Peru, Guam, Saipan, and the Virgin Islands.
For a more detailed history of the Catholic Daughters please Click Here.
Original CDA headquarters in Uttica, NY